Does drinking juice help you lose weight or make you gain it?

A friend who has heart disease was downing a gallon of orange juice every couple of days. He was drinking it all day long, figuring it was healthy for his heart because he was getting plenty of Vitamin C and potassium. Plus, it was fortified with calcium and Vitamin D. But he developed a very large tummy, and decided OJ may have been the culprit. Now that he’s cut back to just one glass a … More

Sweet supplements

With thanks to Elizabeth Fries for this tweet: “Hypothetically, I’m more than capable of polishing off a Panera iced pumpkin sugar cookie while waiting to be paged for my healthy salad.” She speaks the truth. No matter how committed we are to eating healthy, we are more than willing to indulge our sweet tooth (or fat tooth, as the case may be) at the same time. Those of us who take supplements and promote them … More

Did You Know Halloween is when the Holiday weight gain really starts?

 Contributed by Dr. Heather Hausenblas, Fembody Scientific Advisor Most people put the emphasis on Thanksgiving and Christmas along with New Year’s, but the weight gain challenge actually begins with Halloween. Halloween is a time of many candies and treats, but it need not be a time of expanding waist lines. Halloween treats can be found everywhere during this spooky time of year – kitchens, grocery lines, office desks, and waiting rooms. In fact, it is hard … More

Can chewing gum stop a craving in its tracks?

Help satisfy those hunger cravings so you can lose the pounds Here’s something to chew on: Gum can control your appetite and your food cravings. If you chew gum regularly, you already know its benefits: Maybe you chew it to ease tension and help you relax. Test takers have found their anxiety goes down, improving their concentration. And in fact, chewing boosts your memory, possibly by sending more blood flowing to your brain. Maybe you’ve … More

Bone Activator can make you a smooth operator

The downside of getting older? Not operating as smoothly as you used to. And if you are a post-menopausal woman, are elderly or have a family history of osteoporosis, you have a higher risk of losing bone mass as you age. By 2020, one in two Americans over the age of 50 is expected to have osteoporosis or risk developing it in the hip. Even more of us will be at risk of developing osteoporosis … More

The new comfort foods are chemically ‘feel-good’ foods

Your comfort food may or may not be someone else’s comfort food, but it’s amazing how many people will tell you theirs is macaroni and cheese, made just like their mom made, or chicken soup when they’re sick, or hot cocoa on a chilly day. Coined back in 1977, the phrase ‘comfort food’ actually has at least four different meanings: It can be a guilty pleasure or indulgence, be associated with pleasant memories, bring physical … More

ADVANCED BONE ACTIVATOR – calcium from algae to support healthy bones

Are you getting enough calcium? About 99 percent of this most common mineral in your body is found in your bones and teeth, while the other 1 percent is found in your blood and soft tissue. So you can understand why calcium is essential to your bone health. Supplementing your diet can help make sure you’re getting enough. However, not all calcium is created equal, and it’s equally important to ensure you’re getting sufficient Vitamin … More